Saturday, April 11, 2009

No day but today.



I just experienced a really great night.
I just got home from seeing Rent in Chicago at the Oriental theatre. This performance was special from any other rent that i've seen because Anthony Rapp and Adam Pascal were in the cast. Also we got seats in the 5th row. :) The show was phenomenal. I found myself actually tearing up because the actors did so well and moved the show along with great stage presence that actually sucked me in and let me "watch" the show, instead of looking for things that shouldn't be there. (i know, i am really bad at watching shows because once it is your life, it becomes a habit to watch it in another way... more like looking for mistakes and such.) I also thought it was great because there was a man in his 40s sitting next to me, and he was singing under his breath throughout the whole show. Usually people would think its obnoxious to hear your neighbor annoyingly singing, but it struck me in a way of joy, because i realized how such a deep show- it attracts an audience of all kinds. I've heard of a lot of people who despise the show because its about sex, drugs, and aids. But the thing people need to realize- is that, that is a big part of our world, but those things only help tell the true story, which is about friendship and not afraid of being who you are. So anyway we watched the whole show with me tearing and giving a large standing ovation to the actors for their outstanding performance, and then my friends uncle told us that he was taking us backstage. Her Uncle Buddy has connections with a lot of the people who were working backstage, and so the stage manager let us in backstage. We got a tour and got to stand on the stage. It was the most wonderful moment of my life... because i was standing on the stage of the oriental theatre, (where i also saw WICKED) and i stood there and took it all in. Theatre is one of my passions (that i don't really express too much) and to get that experience of standing on a stage... was just so cool. It was a dream come true. So we followed along our little fun tour and stood in the hallway of the dressing rooms. It was great to see all of the actors walking along getting out of costume and it was hilarious because one of the ensemble girls couldn't find her dressing room. Buddy's friend, (Who was the stage manager) then got Adam Pascal to come out and talk to us. He really was a great guy and so down to earth. It was interesting meeting him in real life because if i think about it, i used to watch rent at LEAST once a week. So it was cool! I congratulated every actor as they walked past for doing a great job. And then i saw Anthony Rapp... It was a little sad because he was sick and in his performance his voice gave out a little bit. But i wish he could just know that i thought he still did outstanding because he stuck through his performance and sang "what you own" so great. Another awkward experience was that i was standing in front of a dressing room door... pondering whether i should move or not because someone was probably going to come out or enter it anytime soon. Well two seconds later, the man who played benny walks up to me. I just nicely said "Hi" and he said "Hi".. and then i awkwardly said "Whatsup" because he was awkwardly standing there, as it looked like he was just standing to see what was up and all... and he was like "oh nothing much.... i'm just trying to get to my dressing room." and i was like "Oh ah sorry" and moved. It was really awkward and i got made fun of for the rest of the night. And the best part of my night: We ended our tour and went to the door to walk out side. As the door was slowly opening i heard a voice say "DOOR DOOR DOOR! ITS OPENING" and i looked outside and it was a HUGE flock of people waiting for the actors to come out for autographs. It was pretty cool because they all cheered for us (Thinking we were famous) and even one girl tried to get me to sign her playbook. I guess i would understand that i sort of resembled someone in the cast.. but it was really funny and now i know what its like to be a celebrity. :) oh happy day! 

And PS. Happy Easter :)

No comments: